Sussan Ley resigns from Turnbull frontbench over expenses...

1. 18,150 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Sussan Ley resigns from Turnbull frontbench over expenses scandal

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has accepted Sussan Ley's resignation from his frontbench and announced major changes to the political entitlements system.
    The move follows almost two weeks of public anger over the former health minister's travel to the Gold Coast and use of expensive charter flights.

Mr Turnbull says the government will set up a new independent agency to administer and oversee the the "work expenses" of all parliamentarians, modelled on a United Kingdom approach.
    "It will monitor and adjudicate all claims by MPs, senators and ministers, ensuring that taxpayers' funds are spent appropriately and in compliance with the rules," he said.

The government will also introduce monthly disclosure of MPs' expenses. It currently only happens twice a year with a six-month delay.
    Mr Turnbull said he would announce Ms Ley's permanent replacement next week but would not go into the details of the findings of a report into her conduct. In the meantime Cabinet Secretary Arthur Sinodinos will continue to act in the role.

The Prime Minister says the government will continue to implement the separate recommendations of the John Conde and David Tune report that was prepared in the wake of the Bronwyn Bishop chopper scandal.
    "Australians are entitled to expect that politicians spend taxpayers' money carefully, ensuring at all times that their work expenditure represents an efficient, effective and ethical use of public resources," he said.
    "We should be, as politicians, backbenchers and ministers, we should be as careful and as accountable with taxpayers' money as we possibly can be."
    Ms Ley issued a statement saying she had made a personal decision to resign.
    "I am confident that I have followed the rules, not just regarding entitlements but most importantly the ministerial code of conduct, and I do not object to the material that I have provided being made public," she said.
    "The ongoing intense media speculation has made this an incredibly difficult week. However I am conscious that it has also been a difficult week for the government. The ongoing media coverage of politician's entitlements has been a diversion from the important agenda we all wish to advance at the start of this vital year for our nation and our region."
    Ms Ley said while she had attempted to be meticulous with rules and standards she accepted there was community annoyance, even anger.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ch-over-expenses-scandal-20170113-gtqvpw.html

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.