BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

swine flu heading to a full pandemic

1. 3,045 Posts.
    Overnight news is really worrying with the disease spreading and the cases getting worse indicating this is going to get worse before it gets better.

We are lucky that tamiflu still works on this virus, governments were warned that H1N1 was resistent to tamiflu and yet they still dragged their feet in buying up more Relenza. UK and Japan however saw the threat and topped up.

The US has requested USD1.5bn to help fight the virus but unfortunately Glaxo have a limited production capacity. We are all hoping on tamiflu not losing it's potency against this virus, at least for 6 months till a vaccine can be developed.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/28/president-asks-congress-for-funds-to-fight-swine-flu/

My gut feel is that LANI will be rapidly accelerated (if latest trial is good). I just don't see the point of spending two more years in clinic if the trials prove it works with limited side effects.

I also think that GSK will find a way to increase production by factors of current production. The world is in urgent need of Relenza, if nothing more than a back up anti-viral. This is become a matter of life and death.

This is my last post for this week, so take care of your families and friends. Use face masks in public places if the virus comes near you, and use tamiflu/relenza at first signs of a fever after consulting your GP or emergency department.

All the best, PA.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.