No geothermal needs no batteries - it is its own storage...

1. 2,753 Posts.
    No geothermal needs no batteries - it is its own storage mechanism, on tap as you need it.

If you are just using it for heat, no problems. But if you want to use it for say lighting and power, you have to step it up to 240v - this requires transformers, etcetcetc

I don't have any figures to hand but can't imagine how solar and wind could use more power in manufacture than they could generate over a lifetime (20-30 years). In any case they could themselves be manufactured from renewable sources one day so effectively zero.

It would be nice if they could be manufactured from renewable resources wouldn't it - maybe we *should* go back to wearing fur eh? and going naked when it's hot.;)

I will have to dig up some recent figures I reckon - anyway fwiw, I had a mate whose bro designed and built those majestic wind farm generators in Denmark and he filled me in a few years back on the sad truth - the carbon debt involved in what it takes to make one of them is more than what they save during their lifetime.

Maybe they make more efficient ones now. And maybe there are more efficient batteries and inverters for solar cells to reduce their debt to make them a sufficient tradeoff. My green-conscious, meticulous husband doesn't think so - he won't let me convert our place to solar.

I would prefer if we had the option to try something a little different by addressing directly the problem we have created before adding to it blindly, particularly in ways that are likely to fuel short-sighted increases in population and development, thus creating even more land degradation, tree clearing and rapacious desperate gobbling.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.