EDN elkedra diamonds nl

synthetic diamonds taking off

1. 875 Posts.
    Hey EDN punters,

i have been looking at this company for quite a while now, in fact have looked at quite a few diamond companies.. diamonds are still around $80B AUD industry still with strong demands.. years to come, australia may be close to a sole producer, or at least monopolise...

was going to take a position in the next couple of weeks but have recently researched more of companies like Gemesis (http://www.gemesis.com/GemesisDiamonds.aspx) which produce synthetic diamonds and now "manufacture" more than 3 times the amount per annum as are mined.

there are a few companies like Gemesis making coloured and clear diamonds about now.. the are even establishing a global 4C rating system for the synthetic diamonds which retail at around 1/4 cost of mined diamonds.

anyway, does anyone have any views whether these new diamonds will affect future cash flows / growth for diamond miners? I think they well, these products are not identical but i feel may fall well into the "giffen" goods category as people only buy them at special occassions but mostly think "bigger is better" and can get a 4 carat synthetic diamond for the price of a 1 carat mined diamond..

views appreciated as i am keen to hear what others think about EDN, and specifically, impacts that the synthetics may have..

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add EDN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.