Keypad armchair warriors maybe a better description of most...

1. Osi
    15,730 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201
    Keypad armchair warriors maybe a better description of most ..... but as I see it independent opinions are always of value.

For the moment I suspect that Putin is rolling with the punches with just about everyone else. Putin may have had a plan to use Erdogan's threats to push the Afrin locals towards Assad's camp (and away from the US) but I doubt that the plan extended to allowing Erdogan to target pro-Assad forces with impunity. Should the current situation continue, Putin's standing before his allies will fall to a level of complete humiliation.

So are Assad's forces there to help the YPG as Erdogan infers? Assad aims to supplant the YPG not join it.

For the moment, both YPG and Assad aligned spokesmen sound naïve IMHO but give it time. Trust needs time to build and it can't be pushed.

Logically, the easiest thing for Assad to do in Afrin is change the flags, integrate the fighting forces and otherwise leave Afrin alone if the population remains supportive. Assuming Assad can demonstrate some much needed flexibility, the YPG essentially ceases to exist within Afrin and the PYD would I guess remain as a legal political party within Syria.

But will Erdogan stop?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.