XTO 0.38% 6,403.7 s&p/asx 100

Hi Thanky - Yes I agree with all the points you make.  I just...

1. 1,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1679
    Hi Thanky - Yes I agree with all the points you make.  I just had another look at Marwood's MRS article and there's a lot of work to do even when testing just a simple system!  That's probably why I've been avoiding doing this type of testing, although I know I have to do it prior to going live with a system.  I think it will be an excellent exercise for both of us and anyone else who wants to learn how the professionals develop systems.  In the past I have coded system rules that I find on-line or in books, I call them "Key Ideas", and then have a look at them on a selection of charts.  I find myself rejecting a lot of ideas and then searching for better ones or trying to come up with what i consider better indicators to incorporate into a system.  Generally i go around in circles for a while and then give up.  When you are looking for a system with say a 10% edge and acceptable drawdown I believe/know that the only way to select or develop such a system is via rigorous testing.  Simply looking at a few charts to see how the signals work isn't good enough.

The MRS rules Marwood presents are pretty simple and will be easy to code in Amibroker.  I am aware of other MRS's that we can consider as well.  I'll have a look around and see what I can dig up.  I guess a good start will be to start answering and documenting some of the questions presented in the article.

1.       What markets do you want to focuson?

2.       What timeframes do you want to test?

3.       What ideas will you test?

4.       What kind of tests will you run?

5.       What parameters will you test?

6.       What metrics will you use to measuresuccess?

7.       When will you give up on an idea?

We really need to answer the first 4 questions initially and then perform a "Sanity Check" on the system.

I know you have an initial challenge of setting up your software.  If you do select Amibroker I am happy to help in any way I can. Let me know when you are ready to start system testing.  In the mean time I'll have a look for other MRS's that we can consider.

p.s. we can share system documentation etc via email if you like - Wilf

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XTO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.