XTO 0.51% 6,449.1 s&p/asx 100

The liquidity is good but it's not why I trade Fx, I trade it...

1. 2,335 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 536
    The liquidity is good but it's not why I trade Fx, I trade it because it is more technically driven. However yes I also believe you need to swim harder to keep up, this is why I think there is less efficiency in the ASX (which is a good thing for making money). Basically, easier to learn in Forex, but easier to earn in equities? I am basing this on a hunch, noting I have never actually attempted to trade equity markets systematically (I was always a discretionary trader).

I agree it is probably harder to be profitable in the Fx market and that you are up against much more serious players. Having said that, it is still more technically driven IMO, and that is a good thing when it comes to building algos?

I'm not advocating Fx markets either, it simply made more sense for me to go down that path, and there is a LOT more resources out there for algo trading Fx than there is other markets from my experience, so perhaps that is why people gravitate to Fx, path of least resistance?

Other thing I would say is that Fx markets are better for building big portfolios compared to ASX, for more than just liquidity. Once you have a portfolio focus and start to look at the overall correlation of your portfolio, you start to spread yourself over more markets which have different drivers, meaning you can expect more consistent/robust performance through various market conditions and market cycles. Whereas if you commit to ASX equities only, for starters it is harder to short instruments than it is to go long which means you have a prone to directional bias, and what happens in GFC, most/all of your strategies go out the window? Whereas in Fx market you can make just as much (if not more due to extreme trend and volatility) during a GFC style event. Just one example of another difference between the markets from my perspective, and also perhaps why the 'bigger players/experts' all compete harder with one another on the Fx stage?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XTO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.