We lived in Tumut, the foothills of the Snowy Mountain, still...

1. 3,619 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    We lived in Tumut, the foothills of the Snowy Mountain, still one of my favourite places in the world. Not the town itself, it was OK I guess, but to have the Snowies as our playground was so special. We have been lucky to live in some beautiful places I guess. My eldest son lives in the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns in Pennsylvania and it's no co-incidence as he started hiking with my husband in the Snowies when he was in pre-school. He has been drawn to them his whole life. One point of difference is that he has bears and coyotes to deal with in the Appalachians.

I agree the shopping strip in Montville, small as it is, is basically only for tourists and does not reflect the community as a whole. Most of the locals are blow ins from down South looking for a bit of privacy, warm temperatures and a view of the ocean if you are lucky. We have the ocean view at the front but the rest of the property is remnant rainforest which we have revegetated, in between landslips, droughts and flooding rains. Throw in the meteorological eccentricities of a mountain range, thunderstorms included, it has been interesting to say the least. It has been the driest year here in the last 20 years and HOT so I anticipate the Birdwings may not be plentiful this year. Having said that, my husband called me outside a couple of weeks back as he had just found a butterfly just emerging from it's chrysalis and teetering on a sandpaper fig while it got it's bearings. It had been hiding in a vine we don't readily notice everyday but do now, just in case. I doubt we will ever see this again. I've seen them laying, found their eggs, noticed the odd chrysalis but never actually seen them emerge. It was a Richard Attenborough moment.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.