"Does your city celebrate it's Birthday?"Once Upon a Time...

1. 24,670 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    "Does your city celebrate it's Birthday?"

Once Upon a Time lol.

Not a city here technically, but come the first Saturday in Nov this year is the 100 yr get together for the 100yr celebration of my old Primary school, to which my Father went to as well.
    An area named after 3 old sailing ships.

The original school is still there, but a new one was built some time back about 1k down the road.
    At that location a brick paved path is being put in, and all that are interested in it, can pay for a brick of their own with their name in it and the years they were at the school.
    Father was 1 of 8, me 1 of 8 so it will be a bit of a wotsups surname D.... Ville, path LOL.

The year I left 7th, 2 class rooms and total kid numbers was 47.

It doesn't seem that long ago, that the area was pretty much unknown.
    But quite a few years ago, we got known as a Village out in what they called the sticks, when we hit the news headlines -> a Murder had been committed at this Village's Caravan Park lol.

Prior to that, when I was only 8 - 9, apparently I hit the news, unbeknown to me, as we had no power or TV obviously.
    It was a year of a lot or rain, where they had to release water from the dams around 10 miles away in the Darling Ranges.
    Through the rivers etc, that all links to our way and works it's way down to Mandurah.
    So all our low country got flooded, up to 1/2 to 1 mt.
    We used to own high and low ground and late afternoons we would bring the cows up to the higher country, near the milking shed area, then in the morning we would milk them.

So, I was doing the usual bringing them up one afternoon.
    Anyway this mob come along as I was walking the cows down the road as we did.
    It turns out it was the news team and to create a story line, they apparently filmed me bringing the cows down the road to higher ground.
    I was the cow rescuer apparently from all these floods tongue.png
    It was pretty much the daily routine lol.

The low land is clay and surprisingly, a lot of that has now been backfilled and packed with sand, and now housing eek.png
    I can see serious issues if we get rain like the old days, I expect 1 - 2 mts of sand won't cut it ?????????????
    The Freeway build up may stop it?

Closer to the Ranges, my Father worked for his Uncle at their farm Lowlands 5,000 ac. (Peels old house).
    They had a lot of sheep and many were stranded on Irelands in various paddocks and the only way they could get them off, they made a raft and did it that way.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.