ATR 0.74% 68.5¢ astron corporation limited

takeover target... by posco?

1. 1,248 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Thought I'd get in and make a prediction now that Astron will be the subject of a friendly takeover, possibly by POSCO. Reasons as follows:

The have cash worth well over (50%) more than their market cap, and their assets are well positioned to appreciate (ie. the mineral sands project approved and close to starting, and the advance chemicals business in China).

Senior management own about 65% of the company. I think this is something that keeps other major players out since it's basically similar to a private company. However, the only way the management can ever exit with their retirement fortune is for a takeover (they're all getting on a bit).

They have sought out POSCO as a possible funding partner for the mineral sands project. Given Astron's cash in bank, if POSCO are seriously interested in being a partner, it must be a consideration to just buy ATR and get Donald almost for free.

Astron and POSCO have a deal to work on developing nuclear power fuel rods together. Sounds like something with big possibilities to me, and I assume Astron's input is advance chemical components to be developed in China. Once again, looks like something POSCO might want to control completely.

Finally, I read a Korean news article recently talking about how POSCO had weathered the crisis extremely well and has started a Merger and Aquisition department to take advantage of their strong cash position. In the following paragraph of that article they detail the new joint deals with Astron... (here's that article http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/business/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100226000023).

It was that last article that made me really think seriously that this could be a good entry into a co. before a takeover, and I have since increased my holdings dramatically in the last two weeks.

Takeover aside, the business looks extremely healthy, and at the beginning of a strong growth phase (regarding to Donald mineral sands and the recent China factories), so I consider it a steady investment until my predictions pay off ;)

Time will tell.

Damo

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ATR (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.