Taliban evil terrorist or Freedom liberators?

1. 1,711 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 264

What is happened in Afghanistan is horrible and the pointless countless loss of life is unacceptable.

However the question needs to be asked were we (as in the west) ‘The bad guys’ or the Taliban.

It is their country, clearly the political leaders rolling over and not putting up much/any resistance shows there is a lack of opposition to the Taliban ideology.

We have tried to teach them our way of life but it is clearly large numbers of Afghans clearly have opposing views.

I do feel for the people who died, but their views on women, homosexuality, religion etc where not to difference to our own100 years ago – we might see it as ‘barbaric’ but it is there way of life. The true is some of our ‘modern’ and ‘diverse culture’ makes me uncomfortable and has me questioning perhaps we don’t know better – ie we live in a world where our cense has Man/Women and ‘other’ on it and the left wing lunatics are complaining it doesn’t have more genders…. We live in a nation were a university lecture is calling the teaching of the subject ‘English’ in schools forced assimilation and doesnt see the irony of how much of an idiot she is.

I don’t support the Taliban or their ideology and perhaps due to the fact I am a Christen and have more traditional/conservative views on the world. However I look at the difference between our way of life and theirs and can’t help but think perhaps we need to accept that we might not be in a position to tell other people how to live– but we need to look at the fact that an Army of 300k armed with U.S grade weapons just roll over? Perhaps the wider Afghan society support the ideology (of course not everyone)

We occupied their country for 20 years and we lost everything we did in 10 days. I know the big fear is a breeding ground for future terrorism will come out of Afghanistan, but if they kept to themselves and kept their ideology in their own country do we just let them live the way we want to live? Kind of like we do with North Korea?

I'm curious as to what people actually think– because we paint them as terrorist but from another point of view they could be seen a freedom fighting rebels trying to save their home land from foreign influence and invasion.

Last edited by Pastry1: 18/08/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.