BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

tamiflu...tamiflu...tamiflu..tamiflu, page-22

1. 1,373 Posts.
    The report concerns other much less effective drugs. It does not pertain to Relenza although there have been concerns that Tamiflu may induce mutation in the flu virus since it does not completely fit in the protein as well as Relenza.

I read that this is because Gilead added an OH group to Relenza to make it dissolve in water for delivery by mouth. So Tamiflu has to find its way to the lungs after travelling around the body at much higher concentrations and so has much higher risk of side effects.

My young kids (one aged 8) have used Relenza for properly diagnosed influenza type A with excellent effect, almost full recovery within a few hours, and did not have the slightest difficulty with the inhaler.

Relenza is the drug of choice for all but very small children and frail or otherwise disabled patients. The market should really be 90/10 in Relenza's favour but the US does not like anything too challenging in drug delivery and allied with GSK neglect, we're stuck with a lack of supply until they can ramp up production in several sites around the world including Melbourne.

I can't say what the market will do with BTA in the short term but medium term it has to be looking at more than $100M pa in royalties (just on the announced 41 million courses GSK has promised at $3/course that they currently receive). The settlement is a bonus assuming blatant guilt is suitably punished.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.