WHC 1.47% $7.04 whitehaven coal limited

It is possible, after Iran fired c.200 long range ballistic...

1. 1,582 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 396
    It is possible, after Iran fired c.200 long range ballistic missiles (vast majority shot down) into Israel, that there will be a significant Israeli attack on Iran.
    Oil & gas prices are rising. Will thermal coal prices (which are often linked to movements in their main competitor, gas) also have similar, related rises?

It is my understanding that there is only a minor correlation between oil prices & thermal coal prices, although a small % of power stations are oil-powered.
    If oil were to become much more expensive, would this provide a significant boost to EV's (where the electricity is often provided by thermal coal power stations)

Brent crude rose 0.25% last night, to US $77.82; & up 8.8% for the week.
    TTF Gas benchmark rose 2.2% last night to 39.75 euros; & up 3.62% for the week.
    NEWC 6000 kcal rose 0.74% last night to US $142.60; & up 2.15% for the week.

(Incidentally, iron ore rose 0.51% last night to US 109.29; & up 18.47% for the week
    Met coal fell slightly last night, but still in a significant up trend).

Commodities - Live Quote Price Trading Data (tradingeconomics.com)

bbc.com F. Islam 4.10.24 said

"The price of oil has jumped 5% after US President Joe Biden said the US was discussing possible strikes by Israel on Iran’s oil industry.

Asked on a visit if he would support Israel striking Iran’s oil facilities, Biden said: “We’re discussing that"...

Any extended rise in energy prices raises the possibility of higher petrol prices and increased gas and electricity bills, pushing up the rate of inflation.

So far this year, weaker demand from China and ample supply from Saudi Arabia have acted to hold down oil prices.

The reaction in oil markets has, so far, been far more muted than, for example, to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

But the escalation of violence in the Middle East and threat of further action is now stalking the markets.

Of particular concern is whether any escalation could block the Straits of Hormuz, through which a third of oil tanker traffic and a fifth of LNG frozen gas has to pass.

Since Russia’s war with Ukraine began, the world has become more dependent on shipped frozen gas in LNG tankers.

Even if it is Asia (where most of Australia's coal is exported to. My words in brackets, & all emphases, mine) that is most physically dependent on the flow of oil and gas out of the Persian Gulf, the immediate price impact of such developments would be significant"...

Oil price rises on Biden Iran oil strike comments (bbc.com)
    Last edited by Montalbano: Today, 11:15

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.