WHC 1.57% $5.64 whitehaven coal limited

Target $18.72, page-2845

1. 1,576 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 393
    1. This is the 14.12.22 full Goldman Sachs 2023 Commodities Outlook, as referenced by my posts on 19.12.
    It expects commodity prices to increase by c. 43% in 2023; but not Lithium, & other battery minerals, which it expects to decline (see page 2, for latter).

FWIW, I doubt commodities will rise as high as 43%- probably a lower % increase; & IMO, battery minerals' prices will have good price increases in 2023.

"No supply response in sight. While markets are divesting today , what’s more
    startling is the lack of investment in commodities for tomorrow. Importantly, the
    majority of the commodity deflation (in mid 2022- my words) came from central bankers raising the cost
    of capital and draining market liquidity, both physically and financially, which is
    not a long-term fundamental solution. Without sufficient capex to create spare
    supply capacity, commodities will remain stuck in a state of long run shortages,
    with higher and more volatile prices. While investors remain concerned with the
    2023 growth outlook – a large driver of the latest sell off – the global business
    cycle is far from over. Our economists argue that global economic growth is set
    to rebound with China seeing the reopening happening today, Europe improving
    its energy efficiency in a one-off decline in industrial activity and a slowing of the
    aggressive Fed rate hikes in the US. These underpin our expectation that
    commodities (S&P GSCI TR) will return 43% in 2023"

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/gs-research/2023-commodity-outlook-an-underinvested-supercycle/report.pdf
    (Warning- Long Read)

2. India strongly increased its thermal coal use in 2022- & further increases are expected in 2023.

The Hindu 19.11.22 said

"India's coal-fired power output increased more than 10% year-on-year from March to October to 757.82 terawatt hours, an analysis of government data shows, as electricity demand increased off the back of a heatwave and pickup in economic activity. The government expects this output to grow at the fastest pace in at least a decade in the current fiscal year ending March 2023."

https://www.thehindu.com/business/indias-power-units-binge-on-coal-outpace-asia/article66157969.ece

It has been reported that the higher use of air conditioning, world-wide, is greatly contributing to the need/demand for more power.

Last edited by Montalbano: 20/12/22

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.64
Change
-0.090(1.57%)
Mkt cap ! $4.718B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.77 $5.79 $5.53 $54.42M 9.677M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 3997 $5.62

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.64 20079 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.