WHC 2.38% $6.97 whitehaven coal limited

Thanks for this, I did not consider that market may ignore NTA...

1. 993 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 669
    Thanks for this, I did not consider that market may ignore NTA and just value the company on earnings. That is where Boral and WHC differ, their earnings are a non-comparison.

I'm not sure if you have read my earlier comments, Post #:65716196 and Post #:65733212. I address some issues that you did mention in your post. I agree that buybacks are superior in terms of shareholder returns. However, since off market buybacks have effectively been scrapped, it is clear that on market buybacks are not effectively keeping up with earnings, which is causing the accumulation of a huge cash pile.

My theory on capital return lowering SP to benefit the buyback was not the initial motivation of my idea for them to distribute all earnings for 1H23. In fact, I think they should distribute all cash and leave no more than $500 million in the bank at any one time. During FY20 & 21 they had about $100 million cash and $1 billion in debt, so $500 million is enough of working capital for ongoing payments for either Vickery or Winchester and/or possible safety cushion on top of an unused $1 billion loan facility .

From my calculation, if they adopt this pay-out, we should receive $3 or so in dividends. This is not including what buyback has given back to shareholders in the first half, which was $578 million (64 cents per share).

If they pay-out all NPAT earnings for 1H23 and draw on current cash reserves to achieve this $3.64 per share pay-out (including buybacks), it would amount to $3.26 billion in total. As of the Sept QTR, we had $1.93 billion in cash and 1H23 earnings look to be around $2 billion. Paying out a $3.64 total distribution for this half would leave around $700 million in cash in the bank, which is more than enough.

Any potential drop in SP from the distribution would merely be a bonus. I'm viewing this as a matter of excess cash not being rightfully distributed to shareholders. The buyback is clearly not keeping up and having $3 billion of cash and associated franking credits within the company is a waste and ought to be given to shareholders who can then decide to purchase more shares of an already undervalued WHC.

Keen to hear your detailed thoughts on this!
    Last edited by Alejandro1: 19/01/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.