WHC 0.38% $8.03 whitehaven coal limited

Target $18.72, page-9125

1. 1,477 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 357
    A big win yesterday in the Full Federal Court, for improving the chances that new gas & coal etc. projects in Australia will obtain State & Fed. govt. approval.
    A great week, when added to this weeks Fed. Govt. announcement that gas will be essential in Australia "to 2050, and beyond. Great for Australia.
    And great for WHC- particularly Narrabri Extension, Vickery, & new Winchester South.

The ABC, throughout its various media outlets, is clearly gloomy & distraught.

abc.net 16.5.24 J. Lauder said

"Climate change impact won't play into coal, gas approvals after major court blow for environmentalists

• In short:An appeal by the Environmental Council of Central Queensland over two coal mine extensions has been dismissed by the Federal Court.
    • The ruling establishes a precedent that the federal government can ignore risks fossil fuel project emissions pose on plants, animals, and places — dubbed "living wonders" by the group.
    • What's next?The group fears the decision will lead to the approval of "dozens of new coal and gas projects".

The Federal Court has ruled that Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek does not have to consider the environmental impacts of emissions when approving coal and gas projects.

The Environmental Council of Central Queensland (ECoCeQ) took the minister to court over two coal mine extensions in New South Wales.Under the current environmental laws, the minister does not have to directly consider the contributions that emissions from a coal or gas project would have on matters of national environmental significance, such as protected animals, plants, and places...

The appeal directly related to two coal mine extensions — Whitehaven's Narrabri Mine and the Mount Pleasant Mine in Muswellbrook — but would have also affected the approval of other coal and gas projects in the pipeline.

The ruling establishes a precedent that the federal government can ignore the risk such fossil fuel projects pose to protected plants, animals, and places when deciding whether to approve them...

Whitehaven Coal welcomed the news and told investors the decision cleared the way for the minister to make a final decision on the extension of their Narrabri mine.

It said the project "is expected to extend the life of the mine from 2031 to 2044, support around 500 continuing jobs in regional NSW, and entail a significant economic benefit to the State".

Climate change impact won't play into coal, gas approvals after major court blow for environmentalists - ABC News
    Last edited by Montalbano: 17/05/24

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.03
Change
0.030(0.38%)
Mkt cap ! $6.701B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.97 $8.08 $7.95 $24.81M 3.094M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
48 37930 $8.02

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.03 31199 39
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.40pm 29/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$8.02
  Change
0.030 ( 0.60 %)
Open High Low Volume
$7.97 $8.08 $7.96 841618
Last updated 15.01pm 29/05/2024 ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.