WHC 0.45% $6.72 whitehaven coal limited

I was trying to get my head around what I thought coal prices...

1. 1,773 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 225
    I was trying to get my head around what I thought coal prices will do when/if China start buying coal from us again. The way I see it they turned us off, shutting down demand and prices to tumbled, but China's consumption didn't change hence Indo and other places they were now buying it from needed bulk coal fast, hence indirect buying resumed from Aus pushing our prices up as they needed the quality in quantity to meet the sales orders.

Now if China was to go back to old ways I assume it would overall not make much change to our overall export quantity as rather than selling to Indo etc we would be going back to selling direct to China. I expect this move would probably soften the demand and push prices down slightly but overall consumption would not change so can't see prices falling off a cliff.

Biden came out saying US will be out of coal by 2033 and I haven't had time to read into this if that means they no longer supply coal or only they no longer consume it. A change of this magnitude would shift demand for Aus coal skywards assuming alternates are still not more viable than coal for both power and steel manufacturing. We are starting to get more and more solar plants all over the country and I suspect we are slow on the uptake compared to other places.

What are your thoughts on what will happen if China buys direct from us again? explain your response

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.72
Change
0.030(0.45%)
Mkt cap ! $5.621B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.67 $6.76 $6.62 $43.30M 6.449M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 63774 $6.72

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.76 27023 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 02/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.