WHC 2.58% $7.95 whitehaven coal limited

Just want to add to your statement.From Wikipedia: "Coal is a...

1. 283 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 58
    Just want to add to your statement.

From Wikipedia: "Coal is a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock, formed as rock strata called coal seams. Coal is mostly carbon with variable amounts of other elements, chiefly hydrogen, sulfur, oxygen, and nitrogen.Coal is formed when dead plant matter decays into peat and is converted into coal by the heat and pressure of deep burial over millions of years. Vast deposits of coal originate in former wetlands—called coal forests—that covered much of the Earth's tropical land areas during the late Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) and Permian times. However, many significant coal deposits are younger than this and originate from the Mesozoic and Cenozoic eras."

"The Mesozoic Era ( /ˌmɛz.əˈzoʊ.ɪk, ˌmɛz.oʊ-, ˌmɛs-, ˌmiː.zə-, -zoʊ-, ˌmiː.sə-, -soʊ-/ mez-ə-ZOH-ik, mez-oh-, mess-, mee-zə-, -⁠zoh-, mee-sə-, -⁠soh-), also called the Age of Reptiles and the Age of Conifers, is the second-to-last era of Earth's geological history, lasting from about 252 to 66 million years ago and comprising the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. It is characterized by the dominance of archosaurian reptiles, like the dinosaurs; an abundance of conifers and ferns; a hot greenhouse climate; and the tectonic break-up of Pangaea. The Mesozoic is the middle of three eras since complex life evolved: the Paleozoic, the Mesozoic, and the Cenozoic."

"The Cenozoic (/ˌsiː.nəˈzoʊ.ɪk, -noʊ-, ˌsɛn.ə-, ˌsɛn.oʊ-/ see-nə-ZOH-ik, -⁠noh-, SEN-ə-, SEN-oh-; lit. 'new life') is Earth's current geological era, representing the last 66 million years of Earth's history. It is characterized by the dominance of mammals, birds and flowering plants, a cooling and drying climate, and the current configuration of continents. It is the latest of three geological eras since complex life evolved, preceded by the Mesozoic and Paleozoic. It started with the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event, when many species, including the non-avian dinosaurs, became extinct in an event attributed by most experts to the impact of a large asteroid or other celestial body, the Chicxulub impactor."

"Coal is primarily used as a fuel. While coal has been known and used for thousands of years, its usage was limited until the Industrial Revolution."

So, if we look at how long ago coal started to form, we have at least 252 million years of coal. The industrial revolution started in 1760 so that's 261 years since we started using coal on an industrial scale. That's 261 / 252,000,000 or 0.000001%. Granted the crust gets subducted to Earth's mantle due to tectonics and some coal gets lost forever, there is still millions of years of coal in the ground compared to 261 years of usage.

I hope this gives people a scale of comparison of little coal we have used and how much more there are. I laughed at the idea of peak coal and peak oil.

Cobalt is mostly found in the DRC and it's profitable because unpaid children are used to mine it. If I have to choose between climate alarmism and child slavery, I gladly take my coal fired electricity.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.95
Change
0.200(2.58%)
Mkt cap ! $6.650B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.83 $8.02 $7.81 $81.15M 10.26M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 18264 $7.95

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.99 13073 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.