WHC 0.38% $7.95 whitehaven coal limited

Hmmmm, I must say that I'm a bit bemused by the current strength...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7961
    Hmmmm, I must say that I'm a bit bemused by the current strength in the coal price, which is fast approaching record high's.

Which - counterintuitively - is not necessarily a good thing because it could result in the coal price upswing being shorter in duration than it otherwise might have been.

My sense is that anything much above US$100/t for a sustained period of time is sure to bring on new capacity from somewhere around the globe, if not from the "mature" producing countries such as Australia, Colombia, South Africa and the US/Canada, then from countries which are not constrained, either by ESG obligations or limited reserve availability, for example Indonesia and Russia.

As it is, Indonesia and Russia are already forces to be reckoned with in terms of global seaborne exports of thermal coal, together they represent almost 60% share of the global seaborne thermal market:

Thermal coal market.JPG

My "supply side shock" thesis provides for a more moderate, orderly rise in the price of coal, which would keep new capacity from "rogue" producers at bay.

In terms of supporting equity valuations, a longer-duration cycle, but at lower prices is far preferable than a short-lived spike (which is what we might have now), followed by a share drop if supply is enticed to respond.

Graphically, the area under the price curve is a proxy for cash flows and in the schematic representation of two different coal price cycles (A being a short-lived with intense price spike and B being a more orderly cycle of longer duration, albeit reaching a lot lower peak levels):

Schematic Coal Price Cycles.JPG

I fear that its all happening too fast and that, instead of the shareholder value maximising price cycle B, we may be setting ourselves up for price path A.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.95
Change
-0.030(0.38%)
Mkt cap ! $6.650B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.00 $8.04 $7.88 $25.32M 3.182M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 10000 $7.94

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.98 16494 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 06/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$7.94
  Change
-0.030 ( 0.64 %)
Open High Low Volume
$8.00 $8.03 $7.88 878235
Last updated 15.59pm 06/05/2024 ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.