WHC 0.86% $8.03 whitehaven coal limited

"Have you noticed Renewables are going gangbusters and make you...

1. 16,426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7993
    "Have you noticed Renewables are going gangbusters and make you feel really good about being part of the Future?"

@GT350,

I'm a big fan of renewable energy and I'm very happy that renewable energy is being increasingly adopted, especially in the wealthy countries.

Just like I'm happy about coal being used as a reliable source of energy for economic development in underdeveloped and developing countries, to improve the living standards of the billions of people living in those less wealthy countries.

And I'm also a fan of making money out of economic rationalism predicated on supply and demand fundamentals.

To that end, according to people a lot smarter than I am - namely the energy analysts and scientists at one of the world's pre-eminent global energy consultancies, the International Energy Agency (who, it must be said doesn't have much of a favourable disposition towards coal as an energy source) - demand for thermal coal in SE Asia (the market serviced by the Australian coal industry) coal fired power generation will increase by more than 80% between now and 2040:

IEA energy demand.JPG
    Source: International Energy Agency, World Energy Outlook, 2020

If demand for an economic good rises (i.e., the demand curve shifts to the right), while supply is constrained (supply curve is unchanged), then the fundamental tenets of economics say that the price of the economic good will be higher, rather than lower.

Economic Fudnamentals.JPG

Some months ago, I thought it might take a year or two for this economic tenet to manifest itself, but it is happening a lot sooner than I had expected, with coal prices currently at near-record highs:

Coal Price.JPG

Objectively, that price graphic tells a starkly different story to your narrative about an economic good which is ....er... "coming to an end" any time soon.

(Next thing you'll be telling me that oil is also coming to an end soon.)

Last edited by madamswer: 25/06/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.03
Change
-0.070(0.86%)
Mkt cap ! $6.717B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.14 $8.16 $8.03 $22.02M 2.733M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 56103 $8.03

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.05 4577 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 07/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$8.05
  Change
-0.070 ( 0.43 %)
Open High Low Volume
$8.13 $8.15 $8.05 530224
Last updated 15.59pm 07/06/2024 ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.