TGR 0.00% $5.22 tassal group limited

Tassal Group Strategic Thoughts, page-520

1. 6,633 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 615
    I noticed;
    • The pico-bubble trial for salmon, in the long term i think is important to have these tools to manage fish health, de-oxygenated water was (one of?) the issues in Macquarie Harbour.
    • Extra details on the CO2 emissions for salmon and feed, in comparison with land-based animals, its a good selling point for farmed salmon from an ESG perspective.
    • Transitioning to renewable energy, there was mention of solar at prawn farms in H1 report, but still no details.
    • Replacing all compressors with electric for salmon farms is good, it reduces noise which is good for the locals, and there was that embarrassing fuel spill a while back (one drum fell of a barge iirc).
    • Feed, there is different formulae for winter vs summer, "the bulk of our winter diets do not require fish meal"
    • Im a little nervous about birds around our Prawn farm, the problem seems to be escalating, i really hope it doesnt become like the seal problem we had for years, not sure why its a bigger problem for prawns now than salmon.

With seaweed at the prawn farms, im a bit 'on the fence', its worth doing even at cost to reduce nutrient load going into the bay, but for Australia its a new market that has to be developed which isnt easy, i dont expect to be adding any earnings for it in any of my forecasts for many years.

On the other hand, there is a fertilizer shortage right now, its a developed industry elsewhere, and could potentially get a boost as a carbon sink from COP26 according to the link below.
    "FAO figures put the 2020 farm-gate value of world seaweed aquaculture production at USD 14.7 billion"
    https://thefishsite.com/articles/seaweed-aquaculture-panacea-or-hype-imta

On a different topic, after finding that nice map of the prawn expansion, i did some digging on planning in Tasmania, which i wonder about the timeline for as it might be a bit of CAPEX, there is;
    • Assessment Completed, and approved RAS hatchery at Hamilton, 2 years ago.
    • Assessment commenced, ~18 months ago for upgrades to processing at Margate and Dover, not open to public comments yet.

There might be some info in prev reports but havent looked too hard yet, i wonder if they still going ahead, or have been put on hold.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TGR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.