I guess I missed the humour - maybe because it’s a bit hard to...

1. 17,312 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I guess I missed the humour - maybe because it’s a bit hard to see the humour in people struggling to make ends meet. Our best example of support is in penguins where a community rallies to help - and every dollar they earn through the op shop is returned to the community.

but it’s sad that it has gone to this. I think there are many ways we could shift the economy here - over reliant on mining, forests (with an obsession with cutting down old growth forests), primary production/ agribusiness and strangely UTAS employs a disproportionate number of peoplle. Like many other states many of these businesses are foreign owned and with limited value add. In some cases they are subsidised through eg cheap power.

Yet we have some incredibly talented people here - eg in one nearby town is a young(ish) man who provides security/surveillance systems to governments across the world. we have many of the characteristics that are attractive to high tech start ups and could easily address some of the disadvantages of distance.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.