RIV 0.00% $16.20 riversdale mining limited

Good to see Tata Steel keep buying but I'm bit worried about the...

1. 269 Posts.
    Good to see Tata Steel keep buying but I'm bit worried about the 10%. If they wanted a blocking stake they've now achieved it and since they have been buying aggressively for the last 2 months it may not help if they stop at 10%. Passport and Talbot have both bought 15% odd and I'd think Passport have probably reached their legal limit, being a foreign firm, and haven't issued a change in holdings recently. Talbot has been a constant buyer and you'd think would be a buyer for another 5% most likely. Mittal was reputed to have been buying through Macquarie but that buying disappeared a while back. In the current climate of volatility we may need a fifth interested party to step up to keep the buying momentum going. Tata and Talbot buying a truckload of shares in the past month hasn't exactly pushed the price up but I shudder to think whare the price would have ended up had they not been buying.
    The price drop isn't that surprising I suppose when you look at the other listed coal stocks and also at the US Coal Index which has fallen from just over 700 3 months ago to 266 last night, a 66% drop which for RIV is a drop from almost $12 to $4. The US Coal Index is undoubtedly following the dramas on Wall Street exacerbated from the current hardball game that the Chinese are playing with the upcoming iron ore price negotiating and the closing down (temporarily?) of so many steel works which has to have a flow on to coal of course.
    RIV ultimately has about $1.60 per share in cash and I'd think ultimately 10 billion tonne of coal so the current EV prices it on something like 5 cents per tonne of coal which if you take any sensible long term view is ridiculous. I just wish I was more confident on the short term

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RIV (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.