Hi UltraI am not a tax advisor and can only give you some...

1. 158 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    Hi Ultra
    I am not a tax advisor and can only give you some suggestions based on my own expirience

You stated, that your portfolio have grown by 180k this year and you were not tax resident. Now you become tax resident again and you wanted to know how to handle the 180k in capital gains if you dont sell the stocks.

Firstly, the didvidends you made are fully franked. As an australian tax resident you have to include them into your tax return including the tax credits. If you are not a tax resident, you have to report that to your country of residence. Depends on what country it is, you may have to pay tax there, as they dont know the concept of franking dividends or not accept it.

With the Capital gains, you need to determine, where you where at the moment you sell th stocks. Lets say, You are in malaysia and bought some stocks and sell some stocks in Australia. Malaysia is a territorial country and dont tax capital gains made outside the country. If you have bought stocks, while a tax resdident in Australia, but you havent sold it yet, then no tax until you sell it.
    But if you have bought stocks in australia a while ago, and ceased to be tax resident, the ATO would have asked you to sell the stocks befor you leave. That would mean, you bought the stocks while overseas. Now you become australian tax resident and sell the stocks here, you will be liable for capital gains for the 180k you made. You will get a discount of 50percent if you hold them for more than a year.

I hope that gives you some suggestions. And please do your own research, as i am not a tax advisor, and can only share with you my own expirience. Knowing and not knowing the tax residency laws in terms of capital gains can be very expensive and i just figured it out with a tax accountant and a hefty bill from the ATO.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.