tax question, page-22

1. 47,086 Posts.
    I have no idea if the bill is reasonable or not. I have never paid an accountant's bill in my life. Mrs H has always worked for one.

But choosing an accountant should not be taken lightly. My Lady's first boss fell off the perch quite young. In spite of being an independent, he was highly regarded. At his wake and later, socially, I spoke to tax office guys who "sort of" said they did not audit as many of his clients as others. Ergo, do not just go to your mate's accountant because "he claims everything!". ATO will probably know this and using him/her may raise a little red flag.

On his passing his practice was bought by a "big4" and Mrs H worked for them for another 30 years. In all these years having my tax signed by a "reputable" practitioner I have never been audited. [We have been in business all this time]

She was good at her job [but not "qualified"] and her "charge-out" as a mere "Accounting professional" was modest. She had the highest retention rate of clients in the practice because she had done their returns for many years and thus did not need to cover old ground each year.

Use the same logic you would with stocks. Try for a long term relationship. If possible get a "middle aged lady" recommended to you who has "chartered" oversight. Looking for a "property savvy" or a "shares savvy" accountant is just a wank.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.