tax question

1. 842 Posts.
    Hi Guys

Just wondering if i can get some clarification from the more knowledgable and long term traders out there.
    I have been trading for over 3yrs now and decided in december 08 to change my position from investor to trader and so increased activity a lot
    For previous years i have treated the profit/loss as a capital gain/loss due to the minor buying and selling and the small amounts.
    So for example i may have traded 70 times last tax year and this tax year 140+ but the size of the share parcels went from average 5000 shares to 50000.
    some questions

I now want to submit my income/loss from trading as a taxable income do i qualify?.

What records should i be keeping - i am using comsec and after reading through the AToO website i am not sure if this is enough.

with this activity am i treated as a small buisness for tax purposes.

Should i be lodging a bas statement.

i already have a ABN from a previous contract job can i use this

i have already been to a accountant re this tax issue and he sat on the fence saying it looks like i qualify buy he wouldnt do the tax return because it could mean the tax office asking him too many questions - i suspect he was refering to the alert the tax office put out in 21 may

http://www.ato.gov.au/redirect/atolaw.asp?Docid=TPA/TA200912/NAT/ATO/00001

so i was none the wiser.

Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.