Apologies for the slow response, I tend to only check this area...

1. 287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 91
    Apologies for the slow response, I tend to only check this area sporadically, unless someone quotes something I previously posted.

I would be wary of concluding that the convertible notes do not have an 'eligible return'. The part "by reason that the security was issued at a discount, bears deferred interest or is capital indexed or for any other reason, having regard to the terms of the security" appears to provide that the only basis by which you are able to ascertain the likelihood of the payment being in excess of the original amount paid is by solely having regard to those factors specifically listed (of which the company's capacity to repay is absent).

Such an interpretation is supported by the explanatory memorandum to the bill that introduced Division 16E (of which 159GP is a part), which states

"One assumption underlying the arrangement for taxing each year the accruing income on an affected security is that this income will eventually be received by the holder of the security at redemption. This may not always be the case. Where it becomes clear that the issuer will be unable to meet its liability under the security, for example, the issuer become insolvent, the holder of the security will be able to claim, as a bad debt, a deduction for the sum of the amounts previously included in assessable income under the accruals method and written-off as a bad debt."

That assumption being evident in the definition of 'eligible return', which directs you to only have regard to the factors listed.

Despite what I (being a random person on an internet forum) have written above, the lodgement of tax returns is undertaken on a self assessment basis, so if you consider that you have interpreted the relevant provisions correctly you can proceed to lodge on the basis you identified above.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.