TIH 0.00% 0.0¢ tillegrah limited

Tech discussion only - Pls no pricing, charting, baiting, flaming posts needed

1. 5,906 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 19114
    I was making a little bit of research since the announcement was released on June 16th. I have found are a lot of interesting points in LWP’s graphene  and battery tech anns. I want to share them with you. (My background is Mech. Eng. Bachelor of Science but I have more experience on business than science - 25 years).

I don’t have a red hearth even though I have 245 followers, because I am not posting in every opportunity every day. I make deep research for myself, take my position in the stock, then share them with some friends by emails and then share them here all the time.

Before everything, I also believe LWP’s proppant technology is also a ground breaking thing on its own but just needs oil prices to recover. And it’s coming I am also making daily research on oil & gas sector. For example, from today’s news; “Private equity to ramp up global oil, gas capital deployment” and “Shell keen on its shale potential worldwide”. These news tells to me that the time for LWP’s proppant technology is coming soon.

But I will only talk about the ground breaking graphene & battery technologies here which LWP released on June 16th.

LWP talks about couple of ground breaking technologies

I think the significance of LWP investing in graphene and battery technology is not understood well by the market. LWP are talking about a few separate ground breaking technologies here.

• -  Production of Highest quality graphene on a commercial scale
    • -  Production of Aluminium-Graphene Composite
    • -  Production of Aluminium-Graphene-Oxygen Battery (Metal-Air Battery)
    • -  Production of Aluminium-Graphene-Ion Ultra-Fast Rechargeable Battery (Aluminium-Ion Battery ???)

And we can see that those technologies are connected; they will produce Aluminium metal based conductive Aluminium-Graphene composite material with improved mechanical and chemical properties (Patent # 2) after producing the highest quality graphene on a commercial scale.

Using the Aluminium-Graphene composite to produce;
    • -  Metal-Air electrochemical cells for making the Aluminium-Graphene-Oxygen Battery. (Patent # 1)
    • -  Metal-Ion electrochemical cells for making the Aluminium-Graphene-Ion Ultra-Fast Rechargeable Battery. (Patent # 3)

We can see that there is a fundamental difference between Patent#1 and Patent#3; one is METAL-AIR while the one is METAL-ION. It sound they will produce two different types of battery. We will talk about this later.

Anyway, all of those techs sound pretty good and serious to me.
    They are really ground breaking IMO.

Can LWP be successful on proving these technologies and commercialize them is another question. Time will tell that. However if they can succeed the reward here is unmeasurable.

Weight of Russian scientists in graphene and superior battery technologies!

I just want touch to a few things before everything; the inventors of graphene Andrei Geim and Kostya Novoselov are both Russian born scientists. Victor Volkov is also a Russian born engineer (in my opinion he is a scientist too, no need to have a PhD. Tesla didn’t have a PhD too). The interesting point here is, I have come across all Russians scientist who try to use the graphene in the superior battery technologies while I was researching battery technologies.

Andrei Geim and Kostya Novoselov .jpg

Btw, these two Russian graphene inventors win the Nobel Prize but never patented graphene technology. (The Russians are interesting lovely people. I am not Russian btw,.. but, nobody is perfect

I believe those Russian scientist guys are also connected to communicate and help each other all around the world.

Who is Victor’s international scientific group?

See LWP’s announcement, on page 4 “About the Scientist and Inventor” what it says;
    Victor’s international scientific group has 2 priority references: (1) A method of synthesis of lead-graphene composites, and (2) Synthesis of aluminium-, magnesium-, alyumomagny-graphene composite.”

Apparently there is group of scientist behind Victor, they are working all together, and they have already achieved some certain milestones on their work. I can’t guess who is the “Victor’s international scientific group”! There are a lots of Russian born scientist all around the world.

Are they partners of VVV Technologies Pty Ltd which owns 50%of GrapenEra JV?

As you know the 50/50 JV partners, LWP and VVV Technologies Pty Ltd have formed GraphenEra Pty Ltd (GraphenEra).

We don’t know if Victor Volkov the sole owner of VVV Technologies Pty Ltd or he is sharing it with his “ international scientific group”. (I will make a search on this company later on)

Production of highest quality Graphene on a commercial scale

Only this part on its own is ground breaking!
    As LWP said on the announcement; to date, success at producing highest quality Graphene on a commercial scale has been limited.

Graphene is a single, one atom thick l ayer of the commonly found mineral graphite. As an example to understand, 1 gram of graphene can cover 2,630 square meters, which is about half of a soccer field.

graphene-ext.jpg

Yes, it is really hard to produce the graphene in commercial scale at low cost, and in a reproducible manner. It can be produced in very small scales but commercial scale is very tough. The major hurdle in manufacturing graphene on an industrial scale is the process complexity and the associated high cost of its production, which results in expensive product. Because it’s market is very small atm, and it is expected that the market for graphene would grow in the coming decade, it’s very expensive now.

For example, currently, the selling prices of 50x50 monolayer graphene thin films by Graphene Square are $263 and $819 on Cu foil and PET thin film, respectively. Graphene nanoplatelets (5-8 nm thick) manufactured by XG Sciences is sold at about $219-229/ kg.

We don’t know what VVV Technologies has achieved on producing highest quality graphene. There are many different ways of producing graphene atm; some mechanical and some chemical.  What I know is the patent they have lodged is about “the chemical synthesis process to manufacture the highest quality graphene on a commercial scale”. That tells me that the process is not mechanical. (I can’t see this patent number in the listed 3 patents though)

Also, I also know that they are targeting a certain type of graphene because they will use it for making a “Aluminium -Graphene Composite” for using at the battery’s ANODE (the negative electrode).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As shown in the bar chart below, the analysis reveals that academic/research institutes from all over the globe are doing a significant amount of research and hold the lion’s share of patents (120 patents), i.e. about 50% of the total patents filed worldwide.

The second category among the assignees leading the patenting activity is independent inventors (30 patents)

graphene prouction patents.jpg

A factory in UK producing high quality Graphene on a commercial scale;

cambridge_nanosystems.JPG

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TIH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.