Teeth, language and racial origins, page-1220

1. 17,248 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    i am not so sure that your view of barter in these societies is right though - but i do think it depends on how you are seeing the term. things are only owned collectively in a general sense but in fact status is defined by different items. In parts of PNG for example it was defined by the number of pigs an individual owned, the bride price was defined by the characteristics and status of the bride and the wealth of the groom's family and so on. there is evidence that dates back way earlier than colonial times of different currencies being used. adornments served a dual purpose as they also represented wealth.

I'm not so up on more recent anthropologists but keesings work on the Kwaio is regarded as thorough and meticulous and continues to be referenced even today. he specifically looked at bartering and also the way that was controlled through the chiet even though it was between individuals.

so my thought is that where the debate exists it is definitional more than anything else - what you or someone else means by money - vs currency vs economic exchange etc

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.