TLS 2.12% $3.86 telstra group limited

Telstra 5G Plans and Strategy

1. 2,572 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 212
    I've been trying to stay ahead of 5G developments as they become available and am warmed by the fact there now seems to be more info around the progress/availability rolling out in major cities. There appears to be a new strategy emerging for Telstra where 5G will be marketed as a separate/premium service to regular mobile access as revealed by the webpage where it states you will need "An eligible Telstra mobile plan"

https://www.telstra.com.au/5g
    What do you need for 5G?
    • 5G coverage
    • A 5G-enabled device
    • An eligible Telstra mobile plan
    On the accounts/plans pages it states "5G network access free trial until 30 June 2020, then opt in for $15/month"
    This gives us a loose roadmap for how soon the network should be ready across most major capital city centres.
    If you go to the Critical Information summary for mobile plans it states
    Telstra5G is "Free and automatically included until 30 June 2020. A 5G compatible device is required."

What is unclear right now, is how access will be provided from July or whether further usage fees will apply.

I think there is a massive opportunity for the company to drive Mobile sales unfolding given that there are not many 5G enabled devices currently available. Combined with the fact that Telstra has simplified its account offerings to no longer lock in customers on data/plans, they can still drive more sales out of their 24 month and 36 month contracts on handsets.

Studies such as the Deloitte Mobile Consumer Survey showed handset purchases were dropping as the market had reached saturation, people were keeping their handsets for an average longer period as new features offered were no longer a compelling reason to upgrade, and that consumers were regarding mobiles phones as a luxury purchase, preferring to buy their phones outright rather than on a plan.

With that in mind, given there is a technology leap, combined with a lack of 5G enabled handset penetration and owning the largest network. I believe Telstra has a big opportunity for improved results in this segment in FY21. If they are able to drive higher prices for mobile access and maintain customer numbers

I'm still interested to see the new use cases of 5G as I'm not totally convinced by the purported benefits of 5G (yet). However, I think that consumer tastes/demands for faster service and convenience will still drive adoption on some level.

I hope they can get it right and I watch on wiht interest.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.86
Change
0.080(2.12%)
Mkt cap ! $44.60B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.81 $3.86 $3.80 $101.6M 26.45M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 53708 $3.84

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.86 56000 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 29/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$3.85
  Change
0.080 ( 1.60 %)
Open High Low Volume
$3.80 $3.86 $3.79 7786246
Last updated 15.59pm 29/03/2024 ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.