@MirCat....Nein mate. I worked for Burroughs LTD. The discrete...

1. 3,493 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    @MirCat....Nein mate. I worked for Burroughs LTD. The discrete component computers, were great training in electronics. In the early 70s memory (core memory) was AUD$1,000 per K., and there were no microprocessors. Then I left and joined a company which made Phototypesetters.

The first microprocessor I worked on was the 8008. I remember the first instruction one programmed into the EProm was Hex 16 = LAI (Load A immediate) That cleared register A and enabled it to load the Bootstrap programme. Bios? Who? So that when it was initially reset, the microprocessor came alive and was able to read the rest of the PROM instructions which told it what it was set up to do. That was how they made do with such little System Memory. There was often 30ks or more of software in PROM.NB. In case you have forgotten PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory. And an EPROM, was capable of being cleared and rewritten. Before PROMs the programmes were all on six channel tape. (Paper or Mylar) They were twenty or more feet long.

Hahahaha....Marum.(Die Papierbandkatze)
    Last edited by Marum: 26/11/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.