AVE 0.00% 0.3¢ avecho biotechnology limited

TPGS restricted to just cancer drugs really ? What about...

1. 5,881 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17506
    TPGS restricted to just cancer drugs really ? What about Agenerase , Nurofen , Diinolymethane & WalProfen and supplements Polyvisol , Vidailyn , LiquiE .

Firstly, please don’t misquote me. What I said was

The “commercial success” of TPGS to date appears to be restricted to orally administered drugs, primarily cancer drugs. Phosphagenics isn’t in that space.

You’ve asked the question - what about Agenerase, Nurofen, Diinolymethane and WalProfen and supplements Polyvisol, Vidailyn, LiqueE? – so let’s consider these products.

Agenerase was an approved antiretroviral pharmaceutical drug which contained TPGS, used with the help of large amounts of propylene glycol. It came in oral dosage form only. The GSK drug information insert provided the following warnings.

Agenerase oral solution is contraindicated in children aged less than 4 years of age because of the potential risks of toxicity from the large amount of excipient propylene glycol.

In the event of overdosage with Agenerase oral solution monitoring and management of acid-base abnormalities is recommended because of the large amounts of propylene glycol in the formulation. Haemodialysis may be useful for removal of propylene glycol.

I use the past tense because, after being approved in 2002, Agenerase was discontinued by GSK in 2007.

Nurofen is a brand name of ibuprofen. My online search of Nurofen and TPGS couldn’t locate Nurofen formulated with ibuprofen, but did turn up an article titled, “Incompatibility of Ibuprofen”. The article is about getting drug formulation balance right.

I did locate Walprofen which is an ibuprofen + pseudoephedrine oral OTC drug.

The active ingredients listed are: Ibuprofen, USP 200 mg and Pseudoephedrine HCl, USP 30 mg. The inactive ingredients listed are: acacia, calcium carbonate, carnauba wax, confectioner’s sugar, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, FD&C blue no. 2 aluminum lake, FD&C red no. 40 aluminum lake, FD&C yellow no. 6 aluminum lake, gelatin, guar gum, hydrogenated vegetable oil, hydroxypropyl cellulose, kaolin, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol, powdered cellulose, povidone, pregelatinized starch, silicon dioxide, sodium benzoate, sucrose, talc, titanium dioxide, white wax.

I can see polyethylene glycol, but there is no sign of TPGS (d-Alpha Tocopheryl Polyethylene Glycol 1000 Succinate).

Diinolymethane isn’t a drug, it’s an oral supplement. The listed supplement information is as follows

Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule
    Servings Per Container: 60
    Amount Per Serving
    • Vitamin E (as vitamin E succinate) 42 mg
    • Diindolylmethane (DIM) 100mg
    • Phosphatidyl Choline (from soy lecithin) 25mg
    • Black Pepper Fruit Extract (BioPerine® (Piper nigrum) 3mg

Other Ingredients: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, rice flour, tricalcium phosphate, vegetable magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide.

Poly-Vis-Sol

Another oral supplement. Contains Vitamin E succinate. As for special claims, the information says

Rationale and Special Characteristics

Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Liquid Multivitamin Supplement has 9 important vitamins in a convenient daily dose. It is an excellent supplement for a child when transitioning to solid foods, during growth spurts and for the picky eater. Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Liquid Multivitamin Supplement (without iron) is recommended for children who have sufficient iron in their diet or the possibility of too much.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends 400 IU of supplemental vitamin D per day beginning in the first days of life for all breastfed and partially breastfed infants who do not receive at least 1 L of infant formula per day.

Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Liquid Multivitamin Supplement is does not contain ingredients derived from the most common food allergies: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy or wheat.

If the Vitamin E succinate plays a special role in the formulation, they're certainly not talking it up…..

Vidailyn

A mystery. Never found. If it ever existed it obviously didn’t take the world by storm.

Liqui-E

Yet another oral supplement. In this case, Liqui-E is just a brand name for TPGS. It was marketed by a company called Twinlab. Again, I have used the past tense for a reason.

Liqui-E.JPG

As for my comment about TPGS primarily being used in cancer drugs, it was based on the fact that most of the literature for TPGS which I located focused on its use in cancer therapies, working with drugs such as paclitaxel, cisplatin, flurouracil, doxorubicin and docetaxel. TPGS appears to induce apoptosis and work in synergistic effect with these anticancer drugs. However, I apologise as I have seemed to jump the gun in assuming that these were successfully commercialized therapies. I couldn’t find any that have actually been approved.

And bringing up transdermal patches ! Aren't you embarrassed ?

No, but perhaps you should be for misquoting me again. Transdermal patches weren’t mentioned in my post. What I said was

Nor, as I recall, have you presented any examples of commercialized transdermal products that use TPGS. Despite the fact that TPGS has been around for almost 70 years.

Instead of providing examples of commercialized transdermal products of any form using TPGS, you’ve put words in my mouth and then attempted to shame me.

Until you provide an example of a commercialized transdermal product with TPGS, we will just have to assume that there’s none. Mock it as much as you like, but at least it can be said that TPM Voveran diclofenac gel was commercialized by Novartis and Themis.

So, in summary, TPGS has been around for almost 70 years. Your provided list of TPGS products, which are all in oral dosage form, contains just one commercialized pharmaceutical drug containing TPGS, and that was withdrawn from the market over a decade ago.

The reason for your constant promotion of TPGS since late 2016 has been intriguing. You don’t know happen to know a TPGS sales rep or work as one now?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.3¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $9.507M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.3¢ 0.3¢ 0.2¢ $255 107.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
63 90918113 0.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.3¢ 55054085 13
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.44pm 22/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AVE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.