I live in Perth, I live about 40minutes from the CBD if I wanted...

1. 3,033 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1109
    I live in Perth, I live about 40minutes from the CBD if I wanted to take my car from my residence to the city it would take me 30minutes and is about 40kms away. My work is only 20minutes away. An this is considered by many in Perth out in "whoop whoop" or "the middle of no where"

I don't understand why people would live further away than this. At the absolute worst 30 minutes to work would be the absolute maximum I would live away from my work. Your looking at an hour of your day (there and back) every day 5 days a week (assuming 5 day working week) lost in time. 5hrs p/w for 48 wks less your annual leave is 10 days of your life a year being on the road. Now if you double it that's 20 days of your life each year in the car. That is a ridiculous amount of time driving and a waste of your life. Moreso than worrying about 40minutes charge time when you can stop and go to the toilet, eat, drink, stretch and explore. Hell even read a book if you want to sit and wait near your vehicle. At least the time isnt erroded like being in zombie mode congestion, at least you are using your time to some extent.

Your incorrect in saying current EV technology cant do it. It can, its just un-affordable to most ordinary income earners.Some EVs can do this distance you would have to pay a little more for it. Look up Tesla Model 3 in Australia it does 480-600kms but is about $66,000 AUD. Double that of the car in the video. Considering that people pay $69,990 for some 4WDs it would not be the most cost friendly but would definitely be cheaper to run than the 4WDs over the life of ownership and would allow you to do far greater distances.

To some degree its the same with ICE cars, you get what you pay for. You could by a lemon of a ICE and your paying through the teeth in up-keep or fuel. Or just by a higher priced one and get a better fuel efficiency vehicle with less maintenance (could be ICE or EV).

Its true Co2 to make the EV is higher than that of an ICE vehicle initially. However, there are many scientific studies that show the overall Co2 emission is lower over the life of ownership in most cases. I think the test that I saw was 5 years before the Co2 was below that of an ICE vehicle. Its better than no CO2 reduction at all. Even if there is a spike to meet demand initially. We could also all as humans cease using vehicles all together, this would lower CO2 from vehicle to zero. Unfortunately this isnt practical.

Again innovation and technology will improve on all of the above including reduced carbon emissions.

The above fails to see the other benefits of EVs though, reduced noise pollution, reduced fossil fuel usage, reduced fuel dumped on the roads (which in wet weather would result in less accidents). With less fuel fumes around in the air when your stuck at a stand still in traffic, its got to be better breathing in EV emissions around you (0) than breathing in all ICE emissions.

The only example I can give was when I was sat at a set of traffic lights, there was a Nissan Nevara that took off dumping a huge amount of fuel onto the car behind them. The car behind them was a small ford laser looking thing (2 door hatch) had both windows down and was smoking as well. An then they wonder why people get weird tumours and cancers.....

The time for a shift in human behavour is now dude. For too long people have been sat back doing squat, look at Australia atm, we are on fire! The climate is changing and humans are having an impact. If we continue with do nothing attitude it will be our future generations that bear the consequence.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.