I don't actually get what people are arguing about mudgut's...

1. 80,779 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I don't actually get what people are arguing about

mudgut's example of floopy disc was a good pointer here to what's going to happen with EV's ------------- IMO - the evolution of which may well be faster than computers for several reasons

what is clear is that EV's will be here to stay - like it or lump it

they might not be able to realistically be a purchase item atm to tow your caravan or do a non stop drive from Brisbane to Sydney -

but, when the 7" floopy was the new kid on the block - fitting dozens of full length movies on a tiny stick which would fit in a very very small pocket was also a long way off -

but, indeed - the gap was covered in something like about ????? 20 to 30 years

EV's won't be recognizable in performance in 30 years - and, 30 years is nothing

what is also clear through history is that people did buy 7" floppies in large numbers - then 3" and so on and so on

they also upgraded the drives to suit - then, dumped the lot when CD's became writable ---------- which then got dumped because DVD's became writable -- which are now dumped because we download stuff from the net and many computers come with no drives at all

God knows what battery technologies will be around in 20 or 30 years -

god knows if we might even need batteries at all -- the entire EV might have been replaced by something else out of left field

just look back at the speed of changes --------- then, realise that the speed of change going forward will be quicker than what you see in history

we have to be open to totally new ideas ---------- atm - everyone is talking about static charging stations -- fast charging or not -----

why do they have to be static?????? - we might be able to charge on the run -- I'm sure it's doable - whether it could be made economic is another thing - but, technically it would certainly be doable an only really an evolution - not a revolution.

it seems to me that there's no argument -------- EV's that exist now are just not cut for some cloth - whereas for other cloth, they can do a perfectly good job right now ---

it's like having an argument as to whether you can tow a semi trailer trailer with a mini minor --------- of course you bloody can't - but, you can whizz to the shop in the mini but, it's a hell of an overkill in the semi

I suspect, as I said that the EV era will progress quicker than computers - and, that's because of a few things - massive known demand --

everyone knows what cars do - we are used to that - whereas many people took decades to learn what computers could do and could do for them - many people still have little idea

huge companies are putting massive funds into EV's - major auto companies - computers had large investment as well - but, not on the scale of this and not by such known big players

the regulatory facet will drive EV's -- because of nations, states and councils making regulations about vehicles because of multiple reasons - including climate change - like it or lump it --

computers never had that - no one said that your slide rule was banned and you had to use a hand held computer - but, that's what's going to happen with EV's - like it or lump it - the writing is on the wall and some governments are moving already to ban fossil fuel cars by law from certain dates - that drives things one way only

governments can also manipulate the stick as well as the carrot - by upping fossil fuel taxes if they want to speed up the intake -------- impossible with computers

the war really is over -- it's just to be worked out who gets what and where the dead are buried

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.