Who are the 144,000 mentioned in the book of Revelation? During...

1. 247 Posts.

Who are the 144,000 mentioned in the book of Revelation?

During thetime of Jesus’ first coming, the 12 apostles were a type of“Special Forces.” After three and-a-half years of intensivepersonal training with Jesus, the disciples were used by God toachieve great victories. They penetrated Satan’s dominion tospearhead a great revival and expansion of the Christian faith.

Butthe book of Revelation tells us of another Special Forces unit, avast “army” of 144,000. They have a special relationship with theLamb, and they are sealed with a special name. They also sing aspecial song. Why are the 144,000 so important? Because they arecommissioned with the greatest mission in the last days: to preparethe world for Jesus’ return. Yet many are bewildered by thisgroup—and a lot of confusion in the church exists. So what exactlyis this holy army and who will fill its ranks before the end?

Weare told this distinctive group is comprised of 12,000 from each ofthe 12 tribes of Israel, which are Judah, Reuben, Gad, Asher,Naphtali, Manasseh, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, andBenjamin. It should be noted that this listing of tribes is unique,as it’s the only time that the catalog of tribes appears in thisparticular order (more on that later).

There is so much toshare on this topic that we’ll be covering it over the next fewdays. Though there are diverse ideas about this group, we see theyplay a crucial role in the last days.

KEYBIBLE TEXTS

And I saw another angelascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and hecried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given tohurt the earth and the sea, Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither thesea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God intheir foreheads. And I heard the number of them which were sealed:and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of allthe tribes of the children of Israel. Revelation 7:2-4

Peoplewonder if the 144,000 are literally 12,000 Israelites each from the12 tribes. Even though this belief is common in some circles, after aclose look, it becomes obvious that this is unlikely. A careful studyin the Old Testament reveals an important clue. Because the 10northern tribes gave themselves completely over to idolatry, Godallowed the Assyrians to carry them away in 722 bc. “In the ninthyear of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria and carried Israelaway to Assyria” (2 Kings 17:6).6In the ninth year ofHoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria and deported theIsraelites to Assyria. He settled them in Halah, in Gozan on theHabor River and in the towns of the Medes.

When thetribes of Judah and Benjamin were later carried off to Babylon, afterspending 70 years in captivity, thousands returned. But with the 10tribes, history never records any mass exodus from Assyria back toIsrael. Instead, the king of Assyria transplanted an assortment ofpeople from pagan nations in the land of Israel in the region ofSamaria. “The king of Assyria brought men from Babylon, and fromCuthah, and from Ava, and from Hamath, and from Sepharvaim, andplaced them in the cities of Samaria instead of the children ofIsrael: and they possessed Samaria, and dwelt in the cities thereof”(2 Kings 17:24).24The king of Assyria brought people fromBabylon, Kuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim and settled them in thetowns of Samaria to replace the Israelites. They took over Samariaand lived in its towns.

The king did send one Hebrew priestback from Assyria to teach these transplanted pagans about the God ofIsrael, but not from the exiled 10 tribes (2 Kings 17:27).27Thenthe king of Assyria gave this order: "Have one of the priestsyou took captive from Samaria go back to live there and teach thepeople what the god of the land requires." They eventuallybecame known as the Samaritans. As is evident in the New Testament,the Jews detested this group. Why? They were no longer pureIsraelites in blood or religion.

Long before the time ofJesus, the 10 exiled tribes intermarried with the Assyrians, losingtheir distinct identity. Today, a genealogist would be hard pressedto find even one vaguely pure descendant from these tribes—muchless 12,000! These tribes were so thoroughly scattered, assimilated,and absorbed around the world by their host nations, it is entirelypossible you have traces of Abraham in your bloodline!

KEYBIBLE TEXTS

And they shall knowthat I am the LORD, when I shall scatter them among the nations, anddisperse them in the countries. Ezekiel 12:15

Again, at first glance,one might think that the 144,000 are literal Jews. But from the timeof Jesus, most of the prophecies speaking of Israel are focused onthe children of faith—or spiritual Israel— regardless of whetherthey were Jew or Gentile by blood.

Here is a small sample ofthe many texts that establish this truth. “If you are Christ’s,then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise”(Galatians 3:29). The Lord told the Israelites, “You shall be to Mea kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:6); in the NewTestament, the apostle Peter applies this title to the Christianchurch: “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holynation” (1 Peter 2:9). Romans 2:28, 29, says, “He is not a Jewwho is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward inthe flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision isthat of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter.”

Theapostle James gives one of the most convincing Scriptures showingthat the apostles viewed these tribes in a spiritual sense. “James,a servant of God, … to the twelve tribes which are scatteredabroad” (James 1:1). 1James, a servant of God and of theLORD Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:Greetings. James’ letter is addressed to Christians, yet he refersto them as spiritual Jews from twelve spiritual tribes.

Sowhy did God name the twelve tribes when listing the 144,000? This isone of the most compelling clues that there must be a spiritualmeaning to the tribes listed in Revelation 7. Let me introduce thispoint by explaining that this is the only time in the Bible that thetribes are arranged in this order. Also, Joseph and Levi are includedwhile Ephraim and Dan are left out. Why? Tomorrow we’ll look moreat an amazing message woven into the names of the sons of Jacob.

KEYBIBLE TEXTS

For he is not a Jew,which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which isoutward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; andcircumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in theletter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Romans 2:28-29

When Jews named theirbabies, the names nearly always had some meaning that depicted acharacteristic of the child or an event connected with the birth.Notice how the wives of Jacob, Rachael and Leah, proclaimed themeaning of their sons’ names as they were born. As you continuereading the narrative in Genesis 29 of each of these births, Racheland Leah also made prophetic statements for all 12 of their sonsregarding the meanings of their names.

Here are the names ofthe tribes listed for the 144,000, in the order in which Revelation 7lists them, and their corresponding Hebrew meanings as found inScripture:

Judah means “I will praise the Lord”; Reubenmeans “He has looked on me”; Gad means “Given good fortune”;Asher means “Happy am I”; Naphtali means “My wrestling”;Manasseh means “Making me to forget”; Simeon means “God hearsme”; Levi means “Joined to me”; Issachar means “Purchasedme”; Zebulun means “Dwelling”; Joseph means “Will add to me”;and Benjamin means “Son of His right hand.”

Now here isthe amazing part. Notice what happens when you line up these meaningsaccording to the order in which they appear in Revelation. It forms avery remarkable statement declaring how God saves the church as Hisbride!

“I will praise the Lord for he has looked on me andgranted good fortune. I am happy because of my wrestling, God ismaking me to forget. God hears me and is joined to me. He haspurchased me a dwelling and will add to me, the Son of His righthand.” (The connecting words in italics are supplied for flow ofthought.) These names in this order describe a brief storysummarizing the church’s struggle, redemption, victory, andultimate marriage to the Lamb. It seems evident that this is aspecial message of encouragement for those who are in the church,believers in Christ, and not just Jews.

KEYBIBLE TEXTS

And Leah conceived, andbare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely theLORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband willlove me. Genesis 29:32

At Jesus’ firstcoming, He chose 12 men to reach Israel. “These twelve Jesus sentout and commanded them, saying: ‘Do not go into the way of theGentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather tothe lost sheep of the house of Israel’ ” (Matthew 10:5, 6). Thenwith the outpouring of the former rain, the 12 apostles reachedthousands during the Pentecost revival. At first, they were all Jews(see Acts 2:5). Now there were dwelling in JerusalemGod-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. Now there werestaying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living inJerusalem. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men fromevery nation under heaven.

At the time of Jesus’ secondcoming, from the outpouring of the latter rain (the Holy Spirit), 12times 12,000 will reach a great multitude around the world. The greatmultitude is converted under the influence and preaching of the144,000!

Keep in mind that the144,000 are not the only ones who Jesus is using to preach in thelast days— just as the 12 apostles were only part of the 120 in theupper room who led out in the Pentecost revival (Acts 1:15-16). Inthose days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company ofpersons was in all about 120) and said, 16 “Brothers, theScripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehandby the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to thosewho arrested Jesus. Not only did Jesus send out the 12 to preach inIsrael, but another time He sent out a team of 70 (Luke 10:1).Afterthis the LORD appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by twoahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. The144,000 are the spiritual leaders in this revival, not the only onespreaching.

Just before the Lord pours out the Holy Spirit inActs 2, something interesting happens in Acts 1. After Jesus ascendedto heaven, the disciples pray and put aside their differences in theupper room (verse 13). One of the 12 apostles, Judas, was dead andneeded to be replaced to restore the number to 12 (v. 26). As soon asthe number was complete, the Holy Spirit was poured out.

Jesusblessed, trained, and filled with the Spirit 12 people to lead Hisfollowers in reaching the house of Israel for His first coming. Hewill next choose 12 times 12,000 to lead His church in reaching theworld for His second coming. There will be a great multitudeconverted as a result of their ministry!

KEYBIBLE TEXTS

And it shall come topass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; andyour sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dreamdreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servantsand upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. Joel2:28-29

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.