In an online piece they cover the 1960 overthrow, at the behest...

1. 16,997 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 143
    In an online piece they cover the 1960 overthrow, at the behest of the USA once again, of the independent Congo leader Patrice Lumumba

They also remind me that the beloved figure of Louis Satchmo Armstrong was used as a distraction to what was going on, as he toured there with his All Stars and other performers. That's the American deep state in action all that time ago.

I recall we laughed, we were young and stupid, when Mad Magazine ran the humorous headline "The Lumumba you've got is the wrong Lumumba". That introduced a succession of sabotaging African independence movements with mostly signed and paid for generals installed in their place.

Louis, long a quiet campaigner for black rights was apalled and disheartened by how they had been used as a distraction and nearly gave up on touring. But he brought so much joy and happiness to the oppressed around the world that he kept going.

Well I know how he is remembered with love by many around the world, while they are all forgotten or remembered with anger.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.