"Well what we need to do in respect of automation by robots. Tax...

1. 80,515 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

"Well what we need to do in respect of automation by robots. Tax the company on a how many people does this robot replace basis.
    Then have a living wage which gives people a good standard of living. "

morning all4

how far back do you go though?

steam replaced manpower and horse power

horse power replaced man power.

Water power replaced man and horse power.

Robots have been in manufacturing for decades already -- do you include them - or exempt them?

How does one tax an automatic washing machine?

a dishwasher?

a robotic vacuum cleaner?

a robotic lawn mower?

a farm bot?

Who is going to design the taxing system and who is going to define just how many farm jobs are replaced by a particular bot --

and, who is going to police it?

Do we tax the use of a vibrating sander because it replaced 5 men doing the same sanding?

do we tax the electric circular saw because it can saw at about 10 times the speed of humans?

How do we tax every business that uses a spreadsheet program - that can do a single calculation that a human would take 2 weeks to do?

Word processors ---------------- printers, rather than people writing. Data bases.

In 'theory' taxing robotics, automation and AI may be fine - but, in practice????

wow ------ I would never say that something is impossible --- but, in this particular case --

even attempting to tax this area would distort society massively (which of course, we have a history of all the way through)

but, in this case ------- I think it's far closer to impossible than anything I have seen in the past.

IMO - taxing is doomed to fail --

we need a different solution - very very different -------------- taxes IMO ------- are very old hat in the new world.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.