I think our current crop of Teals and related independents are...

1. 717 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    I think our current crop of Teals and related independents are "first generation" and they will also find Labor seats to target in the future - and probably a few Nats as well in "tree change" areas. I get the impression that the Teals only really attracted 10-20% of otherwise Liberal voters and tactical voting by otherwise Labor and Green voters did the rest of the work. This pushed some of them into second position on first preferences and they attracted more Labor and Green second prefs. The seats they targeted were ripe for such a move - "small l" Liberal members trying to hold back the tide of enough educated and women voters turning away from a Party that ignored their views and concerns.

I suspect that targeting Labor seats inhabited by time-serving ex-union dinosaurs could be the equivalent tactic for the other side. Stridently anti-Green, blindly pro-development Nats and rural Libs would be other targets where the demographics are moving against incumbents over the next six to nine years.

I'm also very encouraged by Greens taking inner city seats from both major Parties and getting their vote above 20% in lots of others.

Future minority governments and rainbow coalitions here we come!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.