the best property today is, page-11

1. 3,704 Posts.
    Kincella,

There are all sorts of problems in society. If we have the urban ghettos, like we have in the inner-Melbourne Housing Commission flats, we have an environment which breeds difficulties.

If we mix housing commission tenants in with standard suburbs and houses we have some complaints from some residents but my own experience is that most housing commission tenants are well behaved.

In my own area the "problem" family are owners of their house and have been there for something like 40 years. They are comfortable financially but have no sense of other people's comfort and have loud parties. Their sons are thugs but, happily, they have finally moved out.

One of my relatives lives in an area with many housing commission tenanted townhouses and as far as I can tell there has only been one problem tenant in many years.

My own personal experience has been that you can have an area which is low on crime and all of a sudden the break-ins etc increase. You may never find out what caused the increase but you sometimes find that it started when little Johnny moved back home with his parents after having a long period of living with his mates elsewhere. When there is an unusual and sudden rise in an area the police will be asking who has recently moved in to the area.

So I guess the horror story you listed is pretty bad but what do we do with people who cannot house themselves? Whilst I don't like waste and people abusing a system I also don't want to live in a society where people are forced to sleep on the street or can't get enough to eat.

Like so much in life, there are no easy answers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.