the best property today is, page-3

1. 3,704 Posts.
    Miles,

I don't know that I would entrust something as important as supplying adequate and suitable housing to a government.

Perhaps we have had different life experiences but my own opinion is that centralising such a vital function is a recipe for great disaster.

I have given a lot of thought to discussions on this thread and I am more certain than ever before that the problem is on the supply side, supply of land I mean.

From my readings it seems that town planning went through some revolutions in the 60's and by the early 70's zoning of land was tightened up and the concept of government "land banking" arose.

There's a lot more to be said on this but I think the slowing of supply in a period of high population growth has had inevitable consequences.

On the demand side, I have said many times that our decisions to have houses of a certain size and insisting that they be in certain areas adds to the pressure.

I have also thought a lot about the affordability ceiling, both for purchasing and renting and I think it is a reality, the only question is what are the various increments in the ceiling and what effect does each increment have?

Certainly, something as personal as housing people has huge political significance. I don't think we are at boiling point yet but unless planning and zoning accelerates new land opening and infrastructure established to support that zoning, I think it will explode politically.

In the meantime, from an investment perspective, understanding what has driven prices upwards, understanding what (if anything) caps those prices, and understanding what will relieve the pressure are time well spent.

If you understand it then you will be on the watch for changes to the variables and be ahead of the game.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.