Look at any government run operation and it's basically a...

1. 30,171 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1785
    Look at any government run operation and it's basically a failure

For God's sake, some functions that government performs aren't ever meant to be businesses!

They're run in the public interest. It's a mania this idea that everything must be a business.

Look at the health system in the US and ask yourself if you want that?

There are limits to this mania.

Some twits wanted to make the Bureau of Meteorology a business.

WHERE is the public interest in that? They provide their forecasts and data for free!

The idiots wanted to make them charge! That would make everything go to the shit.

For God's sake I know a fair bit about public policy and the public service and I can tell you that for every stuff up you've heard about, many a minister has been saved by the expertise of their Departments. Countless untold times. Secrecy provisions prevent me from illuminating you.

Let this one go. You're not an expert on government.

I can tell you this: I met one guy who reckoned public servants were lazy and overpaid.

When I finished with him, he was in awe and begging forgiveness.

But this isn't the forum. Lazy generalisations can be made of any sector.

Look at the accident prone BHP and their flagrant polluting of the environment. They pillage anywhere they go and cause misery. But it's all AOK if they make a profit?

Get real. There's more to life than bare profit. People need to wake up on this mania that's fed by News Ltd.

A function that's brilliantly run is Medicare. It is so popular that after many years the conservatives finally and reluctantly gave up trying to sabotage it. They still have a go now and again.

There are plenty of others examples of well-run government functions but they aren't businesses.
    They're run in the public interest and that's what enables nations to function. The public interest.
    Think about it.

It's an old fashioned idea and thanks to it, and a lot of goodwill, and taxes, you are able to live as you do.

Go live in a country with no taxes and no public interest and no crime and get back to me.
    Only for the rich.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.