The blokes got a point, page-38

1. 29,310 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    Yeah. I remember when they werent allowed to drink, then the do-gooders orchestrated a Referendum on drinking rights, and then the rot set in, slowly at first.
    Do-gooders have a lot to answer for.....
    I played with the kids on Pilbara stations in the early '50's. Life was quite good for them on the stations back then.
    The station fed the whole community, the men and older boys did some mustering, horse-breaking, the girls did household chores in the homestead, the oldies sat under the gums around a perpetual fire talking of the Dreaming.
    Then, that old zealot Don McCloud (of Nookanbah fame) and the unions managed to get a law through that EVERYONE (including the oldies) had to be paid a white man's award wage. Sure, they had been underpaid, but the benefits made up for it. They had pride and dignity, identified with the land around the station..... many adopted the surname of the pastoralist. Life had been good.
    Then it ended, and they became fringe-dwellers around Port Hedland, Roebourne, etc...... was sad to see.
    Of course the stations couldnt afford the high wages to everyone, and they had to go.....
    All downhill from there.....
    Some years back, I was parked outside the old Kalgoorlie Post Office having a smoke, when I saw a beautiful part-Aboriginal girl talking to some people. She went to light a smoke and opened her jacket to get a lighter, and there were 2 aerosol spray cans of paint...... I could have cried. She was better looking by far than that Mauboy girl. A shame.

And I'm going to get smacked for off topic, I fear. Sorry, all.

GZ
    Last edited by groundzero: 26/07/18

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.