CAZ 5.56% 1.9¢ cazaly resources limited

the bowler blunder - a reasoned argument

1. 1,493 Posts.
    Here I will reveal for the first time, a blunder in Bolwer's explanation of his decision.

Bowler states his reasons at the following web site:

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/media/media.nsf/news/4AB296A1F6D75AF44825715D0024BCEA?opendocument

In his explanation he provides 9 undisputed facts, and then declares he has 3 reasons for not granting CAZ the application.
    ======================================
    He said:

Each of the three reasons I will elaborate upon was sufficient on its own for me to be satisfied that the public interest was best served by terminating the Cazaly Resources application.
    ======================================

My point?

It is that the 3rd reason is not a justification/reason that has meaning.
    It is not in itself reasonable grounds for making a decision in accordance
    With s.111.

=========================================
    He states his 3rd reason thus:

Fairness

The effective administration of Ministerial discretion under the WA Mining Act requires that the outcomes be consistent.

In considering this matter, I was particularly focused on ensuring the answer I came to would be the same were the circumstances of the parties' to be reversed. I have no doubt that this would be the case.

In other words, if the roles of Rhodes Ridges JV and Cazaly Resources were to be reversed, I would have found in favour of Cazaly Resources.

Accordingly I am satisfied that the public interest was best served by terminating the Cazaly Resources application.

Minister's office: 9222 9699

End of quote.
    ========================================

So what's my point?

It is insufficient for the Minister to say, because I have treated the parties fairly, because I have not favoured either party, because I have considered both parties equally, as if both parties could have swapped their positions, I can therefore make a decision based only on the 9 facts to reach a decision.

It is simply insufficient because s.111 requires Bowler to develop reasonable grounds (arguments). Just being fair is, in itself, not a reason for making a decision. Its a principle which gives rise to the requirement to exercise procedural fairness.

Treating the case fairly is not a reasonable ground for coming to a decision in the public interest.
    Therefore, Bowler’s stated reason number 3 does not stand alone “as sufficient on its own for me to be satisfied that the public interest was best served….”.

But bear in mind that I, millways, have little formal legal education. ANd depend on a spelling chequer every time millways makes a comment.

Well may we say God Save the Queen.
    For nothing will save the Minister assisting!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CAZ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.9¢
Change
0.001(5.56%)
Mkt cap ! $8.765M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.9¢ 1.9¢ 1.9¢ $1.844K 97.03K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 103333 1.8¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.9¢ 27969 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.31am 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CAZ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.