XSO 1.28% 3,187.8 s&p/asx small ordinaries

The Brains Trust - 2016, page-10835

1. 4,596 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 177
    Brilliant post as usual PB.

I know i sound like a broken record but there really is one overriding force in the drivers seat at the moment. All of your questions above and much of the commentary all come back one thing. Rates....more specifically future pricing of.

Gold and equities can certainly both go up together as 2016 has proven. All on the back of bond yields/rate futures. This also means they can go down together if expectations change.

Your charts all coming to critical junctures. The market is waiting for the all clear....on rates.

Now in terms of risk reward, the market is still very much pricing in low rates for a very long time. In the last week both Dudley and Fischer have been publicly hawkish. Were they just speaking on behalf of themselves or are they trying to prepare the market for Yellen? Does anyone in such positions speak for themselves anymore or is it all orchestrated? I would certainly be favouring the latter.

If i was a betting man (which i am), I'm thinking Yellen will be short term hawkish (September), long term dovish in a (misguided) attempt to soften the blow to markets. In such a scenario we should see an initial spike down in gold and equities, followed by a strong recovery. A flattening of the yield curve and off on our merry way for your wave 5.

Unfortunately I think scenario this will just continue to set-up a train wreck. I'd love to see her prepare the market for September, maintain guidance for 2017, then follow through (in Sept), so we can have a decent correction and take some of the hot air out. That would set-up a far more sustainable, long term bullish scenario for all asset markets, albeit with some short term pain. That unfortunately, is far less likely that option 1.
    Last edited by CaptainGrumpy: 26/08/16

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.