XSO 0.13% 3,138.7 s&p/asx small ordinaries

The Brains Trust - 2021, page-1041

1. YLJ
    819 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 870
    Schabacker discusses the Diamond formation:
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/3171/3171257-8d08d342fcd2f73140077cb71967295d.jpg
    It is also discussed in Technical Analysis of Stock Market Trends, by Edwards & Magee ( John
    was Shabacker brother in law, you can read about the history [here] if it is of interest).
    Both only mention it only as a reversal formation (more common at tops than bottoms).
    Edwards & Magee the following which IMHO should be considered in regards to the Russel 2000
    pattern, (especially if you consider its appearance on a chandle chart as well) at least as far as
    practical trading is concerned:

"Many Multiple Head-and-Shoulders Formations are borderline Diamond cases; i.e., they permit the
    drawing of slightly bent necklines. The reader is cautioned, however, against trying too hard to make
    Diamonds out of price patterns of the Head-and-Shoulders type. There mis a temptation to do so
    because a V-shaped neckline may promise to give an earlier (and, hence, more profitable) breakout
    signal than the straight neckline of the Head-and-Shoulders, but it is much safer to stick to the latter
    unless the second half of the formation consists of a series of clean-cut, converging Minor Fluctuations
    which plainly demands definition by converging boundary lines, and unless activity shows some tendency
    to diminish during this period as it would in a Triangle."

Being essentially two back-to-back symmetrical triangles, it has the same callenges as the symmetrical
    triangle in terms of a diagnal boundary. I have seen it mentioned as a continuation formation as well
    (by Peter Brandt included) and it makes sense to me that it can be used that way when a breakout is
    decisive... A possible teqnique to trading it more safely is to wait for the last swing high in the pattern
    to be broken (similar to the H&S Failure signal)...

All the best...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.