XSO 0.62% 3,004.6 s&p/asx small ordinaries

Good morning @Heloise. I know it's a bit late and ANZAC day is...

1. 1,842 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 43
    Good morning @Heloise. I know it's a bit late and ANZAC day is over but thought you may be interested in another RAAF veteran. I photographed Paul a few years ago.

The photo is very special to me because it is a portrait of a mother's anguish for a son during war. Paul Royle was photographed as part of the Australia wide Reflections Project, Capturing over 7000 WWII veterans while we could.

Paul was the 2nd last survivor of the famous 'Great Escape' where nearly 90 escaped. Most were re-captured and over 50 were executed in the Black Forest by the Gestapo, which Paul witnessed. Aged 101, he passed away shortly after this shot was taken. Jo and I went to his funeral and met the family. A grand-son showed me letters from Paul's mother written through the Red Cross to him. He held it up for me to photograph. The map in the background shows the various Stalags in Germany, including Stalag Luft 3 where Paul was interned.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/3126/3126102-ff6ec7917003de33d64462cf2088993f.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.