XSO 1.23% 2,964.9 s&p/asx small ordinaries

The Brains Trust - 2021, page-2521

1. cha
    5,771 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 608
    Hi Dave
    I think you already have a good handle on charts.
    this post from last year touches on volume and the VSA approach of Williams in his book.
    Charts can provide direction and fib levels, horizontals which always give a reaction and fib levels but volume is key for my trades anyway

There are vanilla charts which show volume but then you need to be able to read it. Experience and time working through it if you decide to make it an in depth study.
    I traded the US market in gfc days with a US fund and used their services and data until they went under.
    There are lots who will provide volume info but, as I said, you need to decide that is what you want to do as it normally costs. Others here may be able to direct you to volume services free of charge but the ones I have found normally charge.
    (I use data provided by a contact from the US I still have)
    A starting point is trading view which will give you some volume data free of charge (i think) but then you have to subscribe for the spx.
    The spx is used by professional trading houses rather than the dow. it is said to be more accurate for the next moves.
    for trading the asx you should be able to use charts from your own broker and their volume data but you need to be able to split it from the bigger funds and retail and work out what it all means
    a simple example is my mate who runs a fund. he is clueless on stocks and his fund uses a bigger fund which decides investments for a group of smaller funds including his. during covid the word was stay invested and stay long
    a simple example of vsa is where volume comes in and price rises then stay with the trade but when volume again comes in and price stagnates then get out
    you can see that in lots of ASX charts

you can then scale it back to different timeframes. it depends on the timeframe for your trades. we generally are not daytraders here but as i said in my post last year I start with the hammer down. the hammer when it works is great for showing a change in trend direction
    it will finally turn around on daily or even hourly if you are a micro trader. we get lovely green candles. if we are lucky the volume and rises extend to longer time frames. eg weekly and if we are really lucky then on the monthly
    we had multi monthly runs on gold in 2020.

i find it a lot easier to start a trade on the daily green candle but on the monthly hammer down (as in the current SPX scenario). the risk is less. it has already fallen. trying to decide direction thereafter carries greater risk.
    anyway I am rambling again. i just want to get in ahead of retail and sell when the bigger players sell. sprotts are pretty good to follow. they were in and out of gold early and then into uranium but nothing beats your own research
    i find volume the most important part of the process and there are lots of resources available.
    I hope that helps. volume on daily has come in on the spx and copper. it has finally started to come up on silver but it is meaningless. it is a start only. gold has very little volume still.
    it is a blunt tool. the bigger funds seem to view it as a type of landbank and will buy at lows months ahead of the rise. they know when it is more likely to turn up. they then sell when retail come in and move on. so it is a blunt tool but gives confidence ahead of a turnaround. it is why i tend to trade longer term and try and be ahead of the curve as someone famous said.
    i buy the hammers when volume turns up and sit and move patiently towards each new opportunity

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.