XSO 0.32% 3,055.3 s&p/asx small ordinaries

The Brains Trust-2022, page-1467

1. 3,518 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 403
    I think the king of trend is Ed Seykota

"A trend is a general drift or tendency in a set of data. All measurements of trend involve taking a current reading and a historical reading and comparing them. If the current reading is higher than the historical reading, we have an up-trend. If lower, we have a down-trend. In the improbable event of an exact match, we have a sideways trend".

I think it depends what you are charting. Lithium junior vs the XJO behave quite differently.

So you have to sort of try a few and see what fits- with that I mean what length of EMA to use.

I use two EMA's one longer and one shorter for example 180 day and 20 day.

I respect trend ( buy only in uptrend ) but in terms of buying and selling I look at price points on the chart.

Sometimes just a pattern if discretionary trading if I think there is an opportunity before uptrend is defined- or % retracement.

Trend is historical price action is now. So the price points that represent significant support and resistance are the ones that override the lagging trend in the actual buying or selling.

So if the shorter ema is above the longer ema you have an uptrend.

The point to buy though to me is where price breaks previous resistance.

Because so many 'trends' are just chop or churn you have to find a resistance point to use as a stop loss.

All major long term trends start with a shorter ema crossing a longer ema so you have to be in it to win it.

I think the 20 week EMA is great for a quick look at something large and liquid both now and historical.

Just trying to protect my super I am in cash based on discretion but now looking for a technical validation of downtrend in the SPX.

Only one false signal since the GFC.

The cross got you out of most of the GFC and Dot com bust.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4555/4555042-ff513b04fae97dd4dc13b83bbe726257.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.