XSO 0.53% 3,102.4 s&p/asx small ordinaries

The Brains Trust - 2023, page-602

1. 6,499 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 52
    @paddington bear Hi PB, I noticed your post last week on H2 so thought I'd throw some info out there now back from holidays.

I am currently working on H2 related projects so have quite some insight into the industry and where the market is at, having said that I'm not the expert - I engage the experts.

The modern H2 market is in it's infancy, and is struggling to be adopted. There seems to be a substantial amount of negativity around it, probably because there is so much vested interest against it. Think the lithium market back around the 2012 - 2015 time.

H2 is not an energy source, it is an energy store, a battery if you will. The loud complaints over the last decade that renewables create problems for the grid when they produce excess energy - well that excess can go into batteries, or can produce H2 (and oxygen as well which can have many additional benefits in context such as Sewage treatment).

H2 is the smallest element we have, so is more prone to leaks than other particles. However this has long had engineered solutions and is a mute point - yet the argument will persist for many years I'm sure. H2 being the lightest gas also rises and dissipates quickly so is actually much less risk than other fuel sources which tend to sink and fill low points.

H2 impacts some materials (creates H2 brittleness for eg), but when engineered correctly this is not an issue.

The various methods of converting H2 back into energy / using as a fuel is complicated and still confuses me tbh. But there are various proven and existing methods for this. Fuel cells for example, addition to other fuels like gas, and importantly there are proven technologies for H2 to substitute diesel.

Of key interest to me and hopefully many Australians - H2 can be used in the same way we currently use fuel and diesel in our cars. We take long trips in remote areas, we get offroad, we go out bush, we go up the beach - all of which have no charging stations and (hopefully) never will because it would destroy natural environments. So we can continue to enjoy our lifestyles even after fossil fuels are phased out. EV's will struggle with this.

Another key point is that H2 as a fuel is suitable to use existing service station infrastructure (modified of course) for distribution. In other words the distribution network is already there. EV's are struggling with this at present as it is different infrastructure which our grid is not set up to handle.

The production of H2 is pretty simple, and is not greatly efficient, however tech is fast improving this. However when producing H2 from renewable energy sources which would otherwise be going to waste it is completely viable - and completely green.

H2 will be adopted into mainstream energy use, but it will go through the motions of competing with other vested interests (fossil fuels), and the earth is flat theorists.

To move the H2 market forward (as in the ASX market), a H2 market (use and distribution) needs to be established - that's what's currently happening and the challenges are being worked through. Once that is complete it will pave the way for rapid expansion and adoption for end use.

I've been closely watching a small ASX watchlist for about 2 years now, but am cautious of being too early (my Achilles heal). I think we are still too early in this space but time is coming to start getting set with a few of the better pics.

My watchlist (needs updating):
    HZR
    ADX
    FMG - not H2 direct
    EDE
    PH2
    VEA

I'd encourage other watchlist shares!? And would also encourage a positive attitude towards this shift from all people. It's beneficial and a true win for everyone once H2 use is more widely adopted and the challenges overcome.

All posted as an opinion of course

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XSO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.