"If I were you I would try and return to Australia, if this is...

1. 113 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 38
    "If I were you I would try and return to Australia, if this is your homeland."

It is and I would truly love to but there are some barriers. My wife is African and can't speak good English. The 2nd point we are working on, the 1st point is harder as she needs a visa. Being married for 12 years and together for 15 & having 2 children ages 14 and 12 (who hav Australian nationality) helps a bit but is not conclusive under Aussie immigration law (probably the toughest in the developped world). Then Australia has been shut since the beginning of COVID --- totally; even for Australians wishing to return home. Now its open again ---- if one can afford @10,000 AUD a one way ticket per person and quarantine in a designated place (at one's own expense) for 2 weeks on arrival --- even if vaccinated thrice (like me & wife/kids). My wife can't go in on a visitor's visa and convert to a residence visa there --- they won't allow that. Turn you back at the airport as they are convinced you'll overstay. We do ave the dossier prepared --- 2 inches thick. It costs 7,500 AUD just to submit it, non-refundable in the event they refuse it (and yes, they can and do refuse even if people have been married and together long term). Also Australia can be a somewhat hostile place for people of colour although that is changing. Plenty of "red necks" --- quite a few in government, some as ministers.

So you see, life isn't always as simple as one would like it to be.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.